This Halloween, we at Paragon Homes want to wish all the little boos and ghouls a safe and happy Trick-or-Treating experience. No matter what your costume or favorite Halloween candy may be, this is one holiday that can be fun for all.
Just like in our custom-built Paragon Homes, we value safety when it comes to our little Trick-or-Treaters, too. Paragon new home communities are very safe, and in general, Pittsburgh is a safe area, with a relatively low crime rate in comparison to its metropolitan counterparts. Nonetheless, ABC News cautions, “As kids prepare to put on their costumes and roam from house to house Thursday, parents and neighbors should keep in mind that their presence on the road and around homes requires additional caution.” According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, over 2x as many children are killed in pedestrian-car accidents between the hours of 4 p.m. and 10 p.m on Halloween night, which falls on October 31.
Here are some tips for a safe Halloween experience: ·
- Be cautious and mindful of where you place your decorations, and be aware of the safety level of your Halloween décor.
- Make sure sidewalks and porch steps are free of potentially harmful debris, and that the area is well-lit, if possible.
- Be a safe driver and a safe pedestrian.
- Choose costumes that allow kids to see, move, hear, and breathe easily. Be smart when picking the perfect Halloween costume for your child. Also consider safety when considering a pet costume.
- Do not collect candy from strangers. Inspect all candy before allowing your child to eat it, and have him or her alert you of any pieces they may find that are open or appear to have been tampered with.
As a general rule of thumb, teaching your child neighborhood safety and the rules of “stranger danger” will come in handy not just at Halloween but as your kid continues to grow. Accidents can happen even in the most upscale of suburbs and we at Paragon would like to see that number decrease, especially on Halloweens in years to come.
*Disclaimer: We assure you that our Paragon Homes are not haunted! (One perk to building a new custom home from the ground up!)