Paragon Presents: Ten Top Tips for a Tip-Top Summer!
At Paragon Homes, we love summer just as much as the next guy or gal — and this summer, we have even more of a reason to celebrate as we prepare for the Grand Opening of our new community in South Fayette Township!
But we think everyone should be just as excited for summer, so we’ve compiled a list of the top ten tips to have a great summer this year and always.
1. Wear sunscreen. It may seem like a no-brainer, but with having to worry about sunburn, skin cancer, sun spots, wrinkles, and more, it just isn’t worth it to bake in the sun, sans sunblock. Choose a higher SPF for greater safety and effectiveness.
2. Bid adieu to bugs. From bug spray to citronella candles, do what you can to protect you, your family, and pets from bug bites and other creepy crawly afflictions this summer. Here in Western PA, ticks and mosquitoes are projected to be even worse than usual this season, so beware!
3. Grill safely. Make sure that when you are partaking in an outdoor barbeque or grill-off that you are practicing the utmost safety. When it comes to grilling, it is important to be careful lighting the grill, using caution as to not burn yourself, and making sure that meats are not undercooked, which can spread disease.
4. Protect your home. Traveling? Be sure to have a housesitter, a security system, or at least neighbors who are on high alert. Criminals tend to target households where the family is out of town on vacation. Keep doors and windows locked, and don’t broadcast your whereabouts all over Facebook if you have a public profile.
5. Care for your lawn. Care for your grass and your garden. A neat, healthy lawn is a great way to add a tough of elegance to the outdoor of your house.
6. Family first. School’s out for the summer and it’s a great time of year to put the family first. There are many evening and weekend activities to entertain the whole family, allowing you to bond and stay busy during the sunny summer months.
7. Relax! Those long, lazy, hazy summer days are an open invitation to relax, decompress, and de-stress. Take advantage of it!
8. Camp safely. Make sure that when camping you use all precautions for a safe, happy, healthy camping trip. Always carry a First Aid kit and have a way to communicate with the “outside world.” Also be sure to familiarize yourself with poisonous insects, berries, or plants, and so on.
9. Be active outdoors! There’s no excuse to NOT exercise during the summer. The weather is great, and there are so many fun activities from biking to hiking, swimming, rock climbing, rafting, and more, that there is no reason not to be active.
10. Swim with care. Make sure that you are careful swimming, and are extra vigilant when your child is in a pool or in the ocean. Drowning accidents are tragic and many times can be prevented. Be aware; swim with care.
We hope that the summer of 2014 is one to remember.
Paragon Homes has been building custom homes in the Pittsburgh area for nearly 25 years. In that time they have come to be recognized as one of the premier custom home builders in Western Pa. In fact they have been honored to receive over 25 Housing Excellence Awards from the Builders and Realtors Associations of Metropolitan Pittsburgh and the Washington County Builders Association including several for New Custom Home of the Year designations. You can reach Paragon Homes at 412-787-8807, or visit us online at http://www.visitparagonhomes.com
Ashley Boynes-Shuck is a well-known blogger, author, and social media pro from Pittsburgh, PA. She was voted Best Blogger in Pittsburgh and Who to Follow on Twitter 2010, one of Pittsburgh’s Top 40 Under 40 for 2011, a 2012 Woman of the Year and Athena Young Professional awards candidate, one of Pittsburgh’s Most Influential Twitter Users by the Pittsburgh Business Times, and happily lives in a suburb of Pittsburgh with her husband, pug, doberman, frogs, and cats! In her free time she focuses on advocacy and volunteer work, as well as rooting on the Pittsburgh Steelers!