A Checklist to Keep You Sane on Day One
Moving into your new house isn’t quite the same as going on vacation. But having a checklist can make both of those life events come off without a hitch.
After the movers have left, you don’t want to have to rummage through boxes for toilet paper or pajamas. In addition to having every family member pack an overnight bag for themselves as if they were headed to a hotel, it helps to prepare a few separate boxes with designated essentials that you will need right way.
Here are some items you don’t want to forget.
Move-in day was made for pizza delivery or take-out. But you will still need:
- Paper plates
- Corkscrew, if you are really “celebrating”
- Cereal or other simple breakfast food, and coffee supplies
- Food and treats for the family pet
Chances are the adults will be busy getting settled. If you have kids, don’t forget:
- Books and some basic drawing/art supplies
- Movies and a DVD player
- The kids’ favorite dolls, stuffed animal or blanket
- A night light or flashlight
Remembering these basic items will keep you from digging through moving boxes or running to the store:
- Basic first aid supplies
- Cleaning products
- Garbage bags
- Basic tools
- Toiletries and paper products
- A pair of scissors
In addition to these personal documents, make sure you have the paperwork from the closing on your home, in case you need them.
- Birth Certificates
- Social Security cards
- Health insurance documents
- Checkbooks and other banking information